Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Music

Just came back from the library after spending a couple of hours reading 'City of Djinns'. But as you must have guessed from the title, this post isn't about Darlymple or Delhi or Djinns. So, as I sat reading the book, Smiley was reading an article in a magazine about A.R. Rahman. Then he started talking about how nice Rahman's music is and that they are beautiful in spite of being very simple. I observed the glow on his face as he talked, probably, he had a tune playing his mind.

Last night, we were sitting in his room urging him to play something on his violin. He did play after his usual nakhras. If you look around when he's playing, you can see a faint smile or some expression of joy on everybody's face.

After he finished, my thoughts came back to one of the usual topics, "I should learn to play some musical instrument". I'm not particularly blessed with musical talent and I feel quite like a bum with people like Smiley (violin), Billu (tabla), Gas (guitar, mandolin) and Badri (who thought Carnatic singing wasn't worth it because he preferred to waste time wasting time rather than strain his vocal chords).

My only stint with music has been a fortnight of harmonium lessons at a neighbour's place. Now the harmonium is not a very glamorous instrument like the guitar. But believe me, if you have had a chance to listen to Pu. La. playing the instrument, you're bound to like it. In spite of such great inspiration in front of me, I gave up the when the teacher asked me to identify the notes without looking at the keys he was pressing.

I had a pretty much uncaring attitude about music before I came to IIIT. But now I think I can at least distingiush good music from bad (I can tell, for example that Himmesh stuff is unalderated cacophonic torture). My choice has diversified from Hindi film music to rock, instrumentals, ghazals, and I feel even the Carnatic stuff Smiley listens to, is good. So the next step should be to be learning to play some instrument. Singing isn't my piece of cake unless I'm alone. There are other reasons also. Aai always wanted me to learn. She used to say I'm becoming like Aurangzeb, with no appreciation for any art. Also, they say, girls tend to like guys with some musical ability.

So, any suggestions about how to get started and what instrument to choose would be welcome. Please do not suggest flute or santoor or sarod (as if harmonium wasn't tricky enough).

2 comments:

Badrinath S. said...

goddamn!! you too?

seems like the "aurangzeb" thing is some sort of secret insult used by all mothers to "motivate" their children to take up music. in the end, my desire to waste my evenings watching cartoons overcame my dislike of being likened to some guy with a weird name.

about the "musically talented" part, i might not be able to play an instrument, but heres what i can do - i can come up with enough material to write a research paper on power metal bands :P

but honestly, about the whole knowing an instrument thing, i_doesnt_care. :D

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

hey! finally thoda settled down here in blore... where are you now? Hyd? Blore? whats up?