Monday, July 24, 2006

A Unique Outing

Yesterday was well spent amid books, infinitely many books. Classics, old ones, new ones, ones I always wanted to read but never found in the library. 4 hours just whisked past in the bookstores looking at them, flipping through pages, suggesting, selecting, discarding. I like spending time like this in the library too, but the collection there remains the same. Here, they were all new, fresh books.

It's weird, but I love the smell of a fresh book. I loved it right from the time I went to buy my textbooks in 1st standard. I remember having bought He-Man name labels also. It used to be very exciting, buying new books, uniforms, lunchbox, water bottle and all before the new year began in school. The excitement of the first day always remained, though the cause behind the feeling changed over the years. When we were kids, it used to be the excitement of carrying new things, new classroom, new partner to share the desk. As years passed, it turned into the excitement of reuniting with friends, resuming the masti routine in school, finding new bakras to pick on in the school bus and that of having a newcomer in the class.

Having studied in the same school from Kg1 to 12th, I never had to face a first day in some new school, answering all sorts of questions to a bunch of curious people. Though I would've liked such an experience.

This reminds me of my first day in IIIT. I came a day before the scheduled registration date and was allotted a room on OBH, 3rd floor. Yes, I was lucky not to be thrown into NBH or GHEB. They remind of a morgue for some reason. I've never been to one, but I'm quite sure it won't be too different. I didn't shift my stuff on the same day. My father and I went back to the place where we were staying in the city. I remember having been very quiet that day. It had suddenly hit me that I won't be having anyone familiar with me from the next day. It was a kind of a mild shock.

This has turned out like any other post on this blog. Arbitrary, incoherent, drifting from topic to another, and I like it this way. This isn't a place to rant about serious issues. So, why bother?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

kewl post
now i feel nostalgic abt my school life
*sob sob*

Sukesh Kumar said...

Ooh Lala!

mythalez said...

"Arbitrary, incoherent, drifting from topic to another, and I like it this way." .. I like it this way too.

Arjun said...

When you were in first/second/both you had a black colored school bag. On it was written 'Wild Wild West'. I always liked that kind of bags.. but I could never own any of them. Interestingly, I dont remember what particular bag did I have when I was in first class.

Sankalp said...

it wasn't 1st/2nd, it was in 5th. it was my most favourite bag ever.

Arjun said...

yes, indeeed it was fifth class, when we had 'the beautiful' Mrs. Anita Verma.

Sankalp said...

she was miss anita verma then. and no dount she was beautiful. very beautiful.