Saturday, January 28, 2006

Australian Open, Federer and Baghdatis

I don't know when I started watching tennis. I have faint memories of a few matches I saw on TV when I was very young.

Gabriella Sabatini was a collective favourite of the family. I remember a few of Boris Becker's matches and how he used to fall every now and then. I also recall some matches involving the extremely vocal Monica Seles. Aaji was convinced that she knew Marathi and that she was shouting "Aahey!" or "Nahiye!" while hitting the ball. But I always liked Graf more than Seles. Graf was more graceful.

As with any other sport, even with tennis I have a special liking for the underdogs in the game. I always cheer for Kenya when they are not playing against India, I was cheering right throughtout Wimbledon 2001 for the wildcard entrant Goran Ivanisevic. I was really sad when he lost 2 previous Wimbledon finals to Pete Sampras. Agassi has been one of my favourites after his comeback, maybe because he was being counted as down and out.

Over the past few years, Federer has been my favourite in mens tennis. I don't think I need say anything about Sharapova. Well, she's cute isn't she? And she has beaten the Williams sisters quite regularly, what more can I ask for?

Coming back to Federer, I just love the way he plays tennis, it comes so naturally, so easily to him. It's like he was born to play tennis. Calm, collected and immaculate with his shots.

But now I'm confused. Whom should I cheer for in this year's Australian open final? Not that my prayers really matter, but I have to take somebody's side. On one hand is Federer. On the other, there is the underdog, Baghdatis, who is on a dream run at Melbourne. Having beaten Roddick in the second round and after a brilliant comeback act against David Nalbandian in the semi final, he looks unstoppable.

May the best man win!

2 comments:

Arjun said...

Federer is unstoppable.

Unless Of course, I stand in his way..

The Young Saint said...

I like roddick but fedrer weell ween.