Monday, January 16, 2006

End of a long hiatus

Life is full of surprises. Things may look bleak, but they can change in no time, it's just a matter of staying positive. I am riding a wave of optimism, thanks to the developments in the past few days.

I had the idea about this post right from the time I came back after the vacation, but I kept postponing it. Maybe because I felt that all that I was writing was getting too self-centred. But since I haven't been able to think of anything better, I'll go ahead with this idea.

So, this is how the story goes. I am sitting in this train on my way back to Hyderabad from Indore. I realise that I have left my room key at home and that I have locked the spare key in my room itself. "No big deal, I can easily break the lock", I think. But then suddenly I feel sad, as if I am going to lose a faithful companion.

Interesting isn't it? How these things become our friends unknowingly. It was the same lock which had been with me in Kota for an year, which had guarded room 334 for another and had sincerely hung on to the door of room 331 for a semester. Almost 3 years, it had been a part of my daily life. The click sound it made as I slid the key in and turned it had been taken for granted, but now I miss it.

This set me thinking about other such friends. I think my best inanimate friend is my cap. It has been the most reliable and faithful friend for almost 4 years now. I have carried it everywhere with me, Indore, Kota, Hyderabad, the HKD trek. I also remember how I happy I had felt when I got it back after I lost it in a classroom at Bansal once.

It is special for another reason too. It reminds me of the innumerable nights we(Samay, Gabbu, Tarun and I) spent at Tarun's place trying to slog in the final few months before the competetives started in 12th. In the morning, while coming back home, Gabbu would always wear the cap. He absolutely loved it. Once, he even drove his bike against heavy traffic to retrieve it, when it blew off his head on the road.

It is not that the cap has been lucky for me. It's just that it has been with me in good times and bad.

I'm sure everyone has such companions, maybe we take them for granted. If this post helps you recognise your 'friends', which I hope it will, do leave a comment.

3 comments:

Arjun said...

Well I've had a friend who's been with me through all my good and bad times.

Who replied to every third postcard I sent through the years 1998 - 2002.

Who certainly remembers my birthday throughout the year, but either forgets it on the D day, or has to leave for kota/bhopal/hyderabad just a day before.

Who shares all his secrets with me. And who apparently knows my secret.

Who doesn't tell me what my ex feels about me. (Thankfully!!)

Whose name was determined to be the most appropriate name he could ever get.

Sankalp said...

do i know this friend of yours?

The Young Saint said...

I have


hm...............

Are yaar, abhi soojh nahi raha he!
yaad ate hi batata hu