Monday, June 12, 2006

I Hate Tragic Endings

Just finished watching the movie 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'. I got the book from the library a few days back. But saw Jack Nicholson's picture on the cover and thought I'll watch the movie first.

The movie is great. Jack Nicholson is fantastic in R.P.McMurphy's character, fighting Nurse Ratched's dictatorship in the ward, in spite of being fully aware, that he's fighting a losing battle for the patients. I was half expecting a tragic end, though I didn't want it.

But somehow, tragic endings always leave a greater impact, isn't it? They make people think, make them look at their own lives. Maybe suffering and tragedy are too common in this world. So common that people have become insensitive? So common that it doesn't move us anymore? And then we sit down to watch a movie, trying to get away from reality and it hits us with such endings. Hits us when we don't expect it, when we are vulnerable.

There is something sad, something painful about life. And discovering that something, the source of ultimate joy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have beem searching for that book for quite some time.After you finish reading theat book can you give it to me.

Email ID: kartheek_g@students.iiit.net