Saturday, September 02, 2006

Forgive my sin

I know I'll have to repay for this sin when the account of my life is settled. It will be written in big bold red letters in the debit column: "inf", particulars: "DISLOYALTY". But I am helpless. My dedication as a Fed fan has failed the test. I have jumped the line.

Before you start forming any opinions, let me clarify that I've not joined the Nadal fanclub. I'd rather commit suicide, or better, kill him.

But for this year's US Open, I'm on Agassi's side. I sincerely hope it doesn't turn out like the Wimbledon where he was shown the door a day after I wrote a post wishing him luck.

As he takes on opponents almost half his age the only things he'll have in his favour are his will-power and the crowd. The question is, can he defeat his age, his chronic back problem and focus in spite of the emotions surrounding his last tournament before retirement and emerge truimphant against the likes of Federer and Nadal?

If he does, it'll be a fairytale ending to a fascinating career which saw him change from the long-haired, denim shorts clad, defiant and wild teenager who preferred his style of clothing over the Wimbledon to a meticulous and valiant fighter. He became tennis's first true glamour boy.

He resurrected himself from 142 ATP ranking to the top 10, toiling through tier 2 tournaments where there are no ballboys, leave alone any other facility. He pushed himself to the limits in the last year's US open quarter final to overcome James Blake. He sadly lost in the semifinal to Federer.

If he wins, it would be an effort greater than Jimmy Connors's run to the semi-final in 1991 at the age of 38. More than anything, it will be a fitting farewell to a great tennis player. I just wish he does.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey but i forgot why agassi's rank dipped.
I think it was during the time he won the olympic gold
cud u tell me ?

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have jinxed Agassi...

An entertaining career comes to an end.

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

unlucky agassi man :(

but why so much against nadal?

Sankalp said...

@sidkc: well, anti-nadal = pro-fed, that's why.