Monday, June 25, 2007

The curious incident of the Mouse in the shoe

One of the disadvantages of wearing shoes for more than half the hours of the day is the fact that you have to pinch your nose when you take them off. Even a single stench carrying molecule finding its way to the sensors in your nose could wreak havoc on your olfactory system.

As such, much to the annoyance of my wingmates, I leave my shoes just outside the door in the corridor every night. To pick up the shoes every morning before I step out is among the most mundane and mechanical things I do during the day.

But today was different.

I was already late and in a hurry to reach daftar at lunch time. I don't like to miss free meals you see. So I pick up my shoes, bring them inside, wear socks and put my right foot inside the shoe. The darn foot doesn't go in fully.

"Damn it, I thought it stopped growing a long time back".

I push again and suddenly sense something inside.

"What is that? Lizard! Yuck! Take it off! YUUUCCCCKKKKKK!"

Shoe is lying on the ground. But nothing comes out.

"Ah, it's nothing. Probably just some little insect. Nothing worth all the hysterics. "

So, I invert the shoe, and lo! Guess who's peeping out? A mouse!

"Damn it! What the f***?! A f***ing mouse? Baahar nikal ********"

It comes out and makes a dash for the nearest corner instead of making a quick, peaceful exit through the door which is wide open. In a most innovative display of warfare tactic, it tries to shock the hell out of me by choosing the route between my legs.

And well, it succeeds. I jump up and down. Left foot in the air, now the right one. He dashes to the corner, I run out of the room.

But in a moment, I am back to my usual, brave self.

"I need a suitable weapon. A broom maybe." No broom in sight. Yes, that bottle of Thums Up lying under the chair could be of use. I tiptoe into the room so that I can catch it unawares and pick up the bottle. By now, it has taken a position of strategic advantage under the bed and on top of the bucket.

With one stroke of the bottle, I bring the bucket down. A good beginning, but it manages to hang on. Another blow and the enemy's on the run! It runs straight into the gap in the door.

I run after it with a war cry and strike the bottle on the ground right next to its tail. I had read somewhere that their tails can sense vibrations. I guess it was true. It immediately wriggles out of the room and makes a run for its life, towards the end of the corridor. The battle has been won.

I put on my shoes and walk out with a victorious smile.

10 comments:

Neuron said...

Ewww..gross. There, you have done a hands-on re-search on "Strategic Intensity - A conversation with an eminent escape artist". Reminds me of the cartoon series "Pinky and the Brain"...ever thought of naming that creature, may be like Daan/Dawn's mouse or something.

Anonymous said...

Hehe.. Nice post!
Reaminds me of the time when 6 of us ran throughout a room 2 catch a freakin mouse!

Anonymous said...

Nice.

On second thoughts, the folks around OBH 195 were not well acquainted to the rottening smell coming out previously from (outside) #132. And "maybe" one of them went into coma the other night, and you're just trying to defend yourself.

Nicer.

Sleeper said...

haha lol

yogen said...

Nice and funny post it is.
Free AdWords Tips

Sankalp said...

@riddle: no such plans. i'm not taking it in as a pet or anything.

@karan: you guys were trying to 'catch' the mouse? i was only trying to repulse this invasion.

@neon: maybe what you say is true. maybe not.

maybe the mouse was an alien with morphing abilities. maybe he was on a reconnaissance mission for their mighty army waiting to invade earth. maybe i just saved the earth from being taken over by them.

@sleeper: are you on campus?

@yogen: are you real? are you so jobless to blog-hop and comment to advertise your home loan help blog?

Badrinath S. said...

Lizards earlier. Now rats, even talk about aliens?

Anyhoo, about the stench thing, i bet you cant compete with me.... :D

Unknown said...

u r too good..i cnt believe u wrote that..u do hve a literary bent of mind..im nt flattering u ..i mean it..gr8 gng juggi!

Anonymous said...

pssst [:o]

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

Thanks dude! Glad to you know you still keep visiting the blog :)

And its been long since I've had the chance to say you're back as well!